Thursday, May 1, 2008

Take Time to Enjoy Nature

I have as wallpaper on my laptop the same photo that is at the top of this blog page. I took this photo while on the North shore of Oahu, near the beach popularly known as “Bonzai Pipeline.” (This just happened to be same location that I asked Kay to be my wife. Besides being such a beautiful site, it has some special meaning to Kay and I.) I spent some time pondering the picture. I came almost immediately to the realization that there are some beautiful sites on this earth. I have decided to include some of my favorite pictures in this blog. Hope you enjoy them.



Not long ago, Kay and I stopped at Kolob Canyon, just outside of Cedar City, Utah. We happened to get there at about sunset. How incredible it was to watch as the sun set to the west and shining on the walls of the canyon to the east. After considering this I have decided to blog by putting some pictures of beautiful scenes that I have been priviledged to photograph.







Just outside Las Vegas is an incredible area called
valley of Fire. The sky was so very blue when we were there. Neat place right?










On one of the jeeping runs outside of Moab, Utah called Elephant Hill, you can reach this mesa that overlooks the confluence of the Colorado and the Green Rivers. It is pretty amazing that the line separating the brown waters of the Colorado and the green waters of the Green continues for as far as we could see downstream.


This beautiful sunrise was photographed out of my bedroom window one morning when the glow of the sunrise painted my room with an interesting golden glow. Glad I didn't miss that one.








Last Fall while I visited Kay in Ogden, we went up to Snow Basin. This scene of fall colors was taken there.









This is the ocean scene near Sharks Cove, near Sunset Beach on the North Shore of Oahu. I never get tired of places like this.










I suppose that one of the great privileges of living in this day and time is that we can see beautiful scenes like those that I have shared here. We can photograph them and and keep them within a key stoke of observing on screen. We can look at them at will and enjoy them anytime we desire. I guess that my biggest concern is that some people spend their time running from here to there and never really learn to appreciate some of the fantastic scenes that nature provides us with. I want to take more time to smell the roses, more time to appreciate the sights that nature has provided us with.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

These are great pictures dad, Thanks for sharing them. I know I often find myslef running and missing the sights around me. That is definitely something I am going to try to work on a bit more.

Carlee Hoopes said...

These pictures are great. I agree that we need to take more time to enjoy nature. I find myself overlooking nature's beauty far too often. I mean, I live so close to beautiful mountains and I hardly ever stop to notice them. It's sad. Thanks for the reminder.

Kay B. Pierce said...

I too find those pictures very beautiful. I am also happy that I have been able to enjoy these scenes with you for the most part. Thanks for the good times and a reminder to take time to enjoy these wonderful creations. I especially love the sunsets.

Nigel Flannery Livingston said...

what happened to the other post? the one about the cents?

Michelle said...

Very nice. I'm impressed at your photography skills and glad you posted this. I remember to enjoy nature and all that's around us when I'm enjoying the weather (ie Spring and Autumn) but I often forget the rest of the year. We are very blessed to have so much beauty here for our enjoyment!